Beau Seaton Attorney At Law
Let Us Handle The Paperwork, Stress And Fights For Your Case
Call 843-761-3840

Why should you modify your custody schedule through the court?

You and your ex-spouse have been using your child custody arrangement for a few years. Your child was only 2 when you divorced, so it made sense to stick to the same plan while they weren't attending school.

Now, you're preparing to enter them into preschool and kindergarten the following year. You want to make sure whatever schedule you have in place takes this into consideration. Should you consider modifying your child custody agreement in court?

If you want to alter custody arrangements, it's a good idea to work with the court

It is easy to seek a modification if you have good reason. For example, you might need to alter your custody schedule to account for your child's schooling and the need for daycare a few hours each day. You might want to alter it to address school holidays and events that weren't your concern in the past.

It's a good idea to ask to put those changes into place legitimately by submitting them to the court. Why? If you don't, then your ex-spouse or you could use the old schedule to argue that you're not getting time when you're supposed to. You'd have two conflicting schedules happening.

On top of this, asking for a modification does require you to sit down and think about all of the factors that could affect the situation. You won't be able to just "be flexible" with nothing to hold you or the other parent accountable.

Most importantly, a correct child custody schedule gives you something to refer to when you're deciding who should have custody or if you need to know who is responsible for your child's care if they get sick or need to come home from school.

Courts won't disrupt an agreement that is working for your situation already, so it's a good idea to bring your child's new school schedule and other documents to show the need for the modification. If you and your ex-spouse are able to come up with a modified schedule that will work for you both, then you should also submit that to the judge.

It's normal to have to seek a modification of child custody at least once during your child's life. The courts are used to it, so don't be afraid to ask if you believe you need to set up a new schedule due to changes in your or your child's circumstances.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Contact the Firm

Send Us Your Case Details

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy


112 Broughton Road
Moncks Corner, SC 29461

Phone: 843-400-4146
Phone: 843-761-3840
Fax: 843-761-3843
Moncks Corner Law Office Map